There’s nothing we love more than getting insider tips from wedding professionals. And today, we’ve got some sage advice from some of the best wedding planners in the business.
Planning a wedding and dealing with vendors can be intimidating. You often feel like you have to pretend to know your stuff so they won’t take advantage or charge you double! But you don’t need to feel daunted.
Most wedding professionals are awesome at what they do, they love their jobs, and they’re eager to help you create your best day ever.
That said, knowing the right questions to ask, will not only help you find the best planner for you, it will help guide you along the way, learn how they work, and manage expectations from the start – on all sides!
So whether you’re booking a full service planner, or simply looking for a day-of coordinator, read these invaluable frequently asked questions (and ones that should be asked more often!) from a crack team of talented wedding planners…
Without a Hitch
Antonia of Antonia Christianson Events gives us her best questions for ensuring you’re not disappointed on the day with your planning service.
- Will the event team stay throughout the entire event?
We hear stories all the time where the planning team leaves after the cake cutting (or before the event is close to finishing!) This then leaves your loved ones to handle any mishaps or to even break down your event.
Isn’t the purpose of the planner to help you stay calm and stress free throughout the entire event? And to allow your loved ones (and you the client) to feel like a guest on their day. Enjoying the entire process, from start to finish!
Your planner should be there, or at least an experienced coordinator until all of your guests have safely left the premise, and all event details have been wrapped up. This means, vendors and planning team alike.
- Will your planning team be on site to run your rehearsal?
While the ceremony is the shortest part of the day, it’s the real reason why everyone is there celebrating! A smooth and on time ceremony can keep the rest of the day running flawlessly (and on time), and this all starts with a well executed rehearsal.
All About Efficiency
Sojourner Auguste of Erganic Design shares her questions for getting the most from your time with your planner – and being as efficient and productive as possible.
- What are the first three vendors categories we need to hire? Do you already have some vendors in mind that we review/discuss today?
- What should I bring to our first meeting? (This question should be asked prior to the first meeting).
- What are we going to focus on first? (budget, vendors, design?)
- What information can we provide to help convey our vision to you?
- Based on our ‘high level’ wedding plans/ideas so far, are there are any challenges you foresee?
- How far in advance will you need to know if we’re traveling out of town or unavailable for meetings?
- How often will we need to meet? Will the frequency potentially change?
- Can we schedule our next meeting today, so it’s already in our calendars? Can we tentatively schedule our standing touch base meetings for the next two months?
- What can we do to help ensure our meetings are always productive?
- What homework do we have before our next meeting?
Sara of Fête Nashville shares her great tips for streamlining communication with your wedding planner and managing your expectations from the start.
- Will you be my contact throughout the planning process, or will you hand me off to another planner?
- Will you run my rehearsal and be at my wedding from start to end?
- Would you ever take another wedding on my same wedding date?
- Are you open to working with new vendors?
- Are there any vendors of yours I have to use if we hire you?
- Do you have limits regarding number of meetings, phone calls, etc.?
- What are your hours? Are you willing to work around my work schedule? (i.e. meetings on weekends or after typical workday ends)
- Will you be keeping track of our vendors/contracts on a shared server/cloud program so we all have access to the same files?
- Do we pay the vendors directly or do you pay the vendors and then bill us?
- Do you have a minimum budget you work with? What overall budget do you typically work with?
- Do you pass along vendors’ discounts to your clients?
- What is NOT included in your services?
- What do you charge for your services?
- Will you keep my Mother in Law away from me while I’m getting my hair and makeup done? (This is one of the most asked questions I get from brides!)
Finding a Good Fit
The girls from Gather Events gave us their insightful questions for working out if your wedding planner is a good fit for you, your partner and your wedding.
- If you have booked a venue, ask your planner if they’ve worked at your venue before.
Every venue has unique benefits and challenges, and the process will be much smoother if your planner is already familiar with the space.
- Ask them why they chose to be a wedding planner.
This answer might surprise you and it will tell you a lot about the person’s strengths and interests!
- Ask how they handle challenging family dynamics or challenging vendors on wedding day and throughout the planning process?
- Ask how many clients they take on for a single day? How many they book in a month?
- How many staff people do you bring on my wedding day?